Cycle Map of GB12 Dec 2023
- New - Cycle Map of GB
All mapping data is derived from OpenStreetMap, including the downloadable maps. Many thanks to OpenStreetMap contributors for their skill & dedication.
New - Cycle Map of GB
I’ve just finished creating and testing this new map with the following features:
- National cycle routes are shown in bold red,
- Regional cycle routes are bold pink,
- Local cycle routes are blue,
- References for the cycle routes are displayed, often in a ‘shield’,
- This is a lightweight style, aimed at use on a cycle computer, and a number of changes have been made to ensure it responds quickly on a cycle computer, and that information important to a cyclist is displayed,
- Buildings are not shown,
- Gardens are not shown,
- Icons for many features not needing to be seen by a cyclist are not shown, for instance an icon for a carpet shop,
- Motorways, and other main roads that cyclists usually avoid are shown in grey,
- As cycle parking places are now so frequent, I have not shown them as in dense areas they can clutter the map so much it becomes confusing,
- Cycle shops, and those shops which sell cycle items used by cyclists, are shown,
- Parkrun starting points are shown, where they have been added to OpenStreetMap,
- Postboxes are shown, with their collection time, if available,
- The map is both routable, and searchable,
- Available as:
- for windows users cycle-winexe-2023-12-12.7z.torrent,
- for apple and windows users cycle-gmapi-2023-12-12.7z.torrent,
- for those using QMapShack, or who only wish to install the map on their Garmin device, cycle-2023-12-12.7z.torrent.
Each of the different variety (exe, gmapi, or gmapsupp & tdb) are compressed with 7-zip, but are still approaching 600mb in size, and are supplied as a torrent file, which will allow you to download the complete file.
See https://daphne-nick.uk/openstreetmap/garmin-maps/2023/10/18/garmin-map-instructions for instructions on using the files.
This map will be updated on a monthly basis whenever possible, with a new version created on the first Tuesday of the month, and posted on my site for download as soon as I have tested it, often the same day.
Screenshots - Garmin Edge 810